Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
4 Stars - I really liked this book


Synopsis

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

I will start with the one thing that truly tore my heart out with this book.  I believe there are different kinds of love, from friendship, to lovers, to children.  The one that broke me apart in this book was the love of a child and their mother.  The fact that Lena's mother stays so strong and never quits loving her daughters even when they tried to take it away from her so many times is just gut wrenching to me.  The thought of someone taking away the love that I feel to my child just scares the crap out of me.  I do not know wear I would be without the love.  It is such an indescribable feeling to try to explain to someone who does not have a child.  The idea of this book is not only the love of a child, but that love in general is evil.  In fact, in this book the word "LOVE" is considered a four letter word.  It is frightening that the people after having the surgery turn into mindless zombies, with no feelings.  What would we be like without love? Without feeling the way we do?  Without loving so greatly? Love is a dangerous thing in so many ways, but what would we be like without it? This book describes a world without love, and it is a scary place.  
I liked the idea of this book, and the pace of it.  It was very poetically written.  Oliver leaves you with a huge cliff hanger, even if it did seem very abrupt.  My dislike was that there were no surprises, you could guess what was going to happen.  Normally that is a huge downfall to me, but she writes the story so bueatifully I was able to ignore that.    


photo and synopsis courtesy of Goodreads
     

No comments:

Post a Comment