Saturday, October 27, 2012

Audiobook Review: Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick

Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Release Date: September 25, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Narrator: Katherine Kellgren
3.5 Stars - I liked it - but was a little disappointed

Synopsis:
The Apocalypse does not end. The Changed will grow in numbers. The Spared may not survive.

Even before the EMPs brought down the world, Alex was on the run from the demons of her past and the monster living in her head. After the world was gone, she believed Rule could be a sanctuary for her and those she’d come to love.
But she was wrong.

Now Alex is in the fight of her life against the adults, who would use her, the survivors, who don’t trust her, and the Changed, who would eat her alive.

Welcome to Shadows, the second book in the haunting apocalyptic Ashes Trilogy: where no one is safe and humans may be the worst of the monsters.


Review:
Gripping, exciting, engrossing, disgusting, terrifying, and confusing. So many words to explain my feelings about this book.  I made the original mistake of reading early reviews, mostly because I was appalled to see that people were giving it very low ratings. (Like one and two star reviews on Amazon)  I loved the first book Ashes so much I could not beleive that the second could be as bad as they were saying.  Their complaints were mostly centered around the fact that they thought there were too many points of views.  I went into this book with an open mind, and still enjoyed it no matter what I read before.

The multiple points of views did make it confusing.  There were just too many different ones.  I like different POV's, take for instance A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin.  If I remember correctly there were at least 5 different POV's in that book. The difference is that each POV came from different circumstances and events.  In Shadows you hear the same event by multiple POV's. It's choppy and ultimately confusing.  There were too many unfamiliar characters, if she had just stuck to Alex and Tom I think it would have been less confusing.  I understand that the author was branching out the stories so they could cross paths, but I think it was a little too much.

I did however LOVE the narrator once again!  I love the passion that she invokes in her story telling.  She even yells and screams just as the characters would! I loved her in the first book and, love her more for the second. She adds a certain amount of intensity that keeps you at the edge of your seat, gripping the seat with white knuckles.  

Once I got past being a little confused by the point of views from unfamiliar characters, I did really enjoy the story.  I found myself dry-heaving while lying in bed listening to the book! I know that sounds bad, but it was awesome! Bick is amazing at electrifying a scene and describing every gory detail to the last drop of blood.  I gagged, grimaced and felt like yanking the ear buds out of my ears!  This was a perfect listen for Halloween! 
I loved that the changed are not mindless zombies, it makes the story so much more terrifying.  Being chased by a hoard of mindless zombies that want to eat your brains is scary.....but being chased by pycho plotting zombies that want to eat the skin right off you and enjoy and savor it..ten times more terrifying.

The book is not all about gore and scary psycho zombie teenagers.  It's about the human body and spirits will to survive at any cost.  I can't believe the situations that these characters are put into, and they survive. (Well, some do).  I have to say that the author scared me to death, and broke my heart in two.  Some series I get to this point, and don't care to know what happens to the characters next and just move on.  This is not the case for this series.  I really want to know what happens to these poor characters!  

synopsis and photo courtesy of Goodreads

                    
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment