Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Release Date: June 2010
2 Stars...Would not recommend

At the age of four, Bryn watched a rogue werewolf brutally murder her parents.  Alone in the world, she was rescued and taken in by the mysterious Callum, the Alpha of his werewolf pack.  Now fifteen, Bryn's been raised as a human among werewolves, adhering to the pack rule (mostly).  Little fazes her.
But the pack's been keeping a secret, and when Bryn goes exploring against Callum's direct orders, she finds Chase, a newly turned Were locked in a cage.  Terrifying memories of the attack on her mom and dad come flooding back. Bryn needs answers, and she needs Chase to get them.  Suddenly, all allegiances to the pack no longer matter.  Its Bryn and Chase against the werewolf world, whatever the consequence.   

I completely jumped into this book since one of my all time favorite authors recommended it.  I was so excited to read it.  The last book that was recommended by the same author was Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and I loved that book.  The first couple of chapters brought me to a bloody world of a teenager raised by werewolves (title didn't give that away did it?).  She was saved by Callum as a kid from a rogue werewolf, but can not remember the details.  Her best friend is a werewolf who likes Broadway music and show tunes.  She meets this boy who was bitten by a werewolf and instantly falls for him, just by looking at him.  This is where the book starts to lose me.  I am so tired of these young girls just instantly falling for some cute boy.  I know that the author wanted to portray some kind of underlying connection between the two of them, but for me the chemistry just did not work.  The repetitive nature of how the pack thinks together got a little annoying.  Without adding too many spoilers, the book slowly goes through a plot that I found very predictable to the end and with yet also, a predictable ending.  I think I have been just a little jaded by many predictable books lately, so maybe I am being a little harsh.  In the end it, I found it almost painful to finish and I kept skipping paragraphs just to get to the ending that I already knew was going to happen.  On a good note, I did like the depth to where she took the book in reference to the pack mentality.  She showed how their family's can be close, disciplined, and yet still love and respect each other.        

No comments:

Post a Comment