Tuesday, September 7, 2010


Author: Cassandra Clare
Release Date: August 31st, 2010
4.5 Stars - Loved it, and will read again before the next book in the series


Synopsis: Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.
           When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
           Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
           Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa.
           As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

**Mildly Spoilery**

I am not quite sure where to start! I have so many thoughts, I hope that I can convey them well.  I have to admit that being such a huge Mortal Instruments fan I subconsciously kept comparing the plot and characters.  Although I did see similarities, it wasn't enough to not let this book stand alone.  I did not give it 5 stars, only because I didn't like it as much as the Mortal Instruments.  
The setting is early London where women are still expected to wear dresses and marry a wealthy husband.     
I love how Clare writes and describes London so crisply I feel like I am there.  Especially her description of the skyline in the end of the book.  She puts you right in the middle of the action scenes, every hit, every cut, every swipe of a blade you feel it.  Some authors do not describe their characters looks, and I think that is a huge downfall.  Clare describes hers to down to every detail.  She spend a lot of time on Will's eyes, and I am wondering why?  The contrast between Will and Jem, goes back to the light versus dark thing.  Reminds me of the old western movies where the good cowboy wore the white hat, and the bad wore the black.  Although I do not think Will is inherently bad to the core, he really rubbed me the wrong way.  I am dying to know his true story and why he is the way he is.  Jem is so kind and sweet, and you feel so sad for him.  You can see the triangle forming between Jem, Will and Tessa.  Although, I can not see a future for any of them together.  But that's the point right? Its not supposed to be easy or set in stone.  I think my favorite character if I had to choose would be Tessa.  She is betrayed by the only person she can trust, treated like crud by the one person she feels affection for, and still walks away with her head held high.  She transforms throughout the book, and I think she will keep changing throughout the series.  I loved Henry too, his bumbling scientific mind and his tendency to be looked down upon.  I do not believe that Charlotte only married him to be able to run the institute, I believe she really does love him.            
I spent a lot of time thinking more of the characters then the actual story.  But that's what I like to read.  A story with bland characters bores me to death.  The story itself was wonderful, full of action, suspense, treachery, and a little romance, just the way I like it.
This book left me wanting more, and with about a hundred questions!  What is the Clockwork Angel?  What was Tessa's purpose? Who is her mother? What is Tessa? Why is Will such a jerk!  What did Will want of Magnus?  Will they find a cure for Jem?  And most of all...will the whole town of London be rampaged by an outbreak of Demon Pox??  I am sure these questions will be addressed in the upcoming books.  Ultimately Clare leaves me wanting more...more...more..MORE!!      

Photo and synopsis courtesy of Goodreads 

No comments:

Post a Comment