Friday, September 24, 2010


Author: Kiersten White
Release Date: August 31st
Publisher: HarperTeen
3.5 Stars - I liked it, but was a little disappointed


Synopsis: Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. 

First of all I would like to say that I LOVED this cover!  Its dramatic and beautiful.  My only problem with it, is that it makes the book seem darker and more dramatic than it really is.  I know, don't judge a book by its cover right? Well I did!  I thought this was going to be a dark paranormal romance.  Instead it was  fun, cute and a little sad.  I think the author meant for it to be on the darker side, but I just did not see it that way.  I did totally laugh at the fact that she uses a pink taser (named Tasey) to take down paranormals.   The whole joke about neutering paranormals was funny too.  The relationship between Evie and Lend is really cute.  Unfortunately that's all it was to me, cute.  There was no interesting dynamic.  I liked the concept behind this book, a secret agency taking down paranormals, with an strong female lead that finds herself an outsider, trying to take down the corrupt agency.  The writing was just too bland for me, not enough in depth description and the other characters besides Evie and Lend just fall flat.    
I did enjoy this as a light read in between some pretty heavy stuff.  If you need a break and want something that will entertain you and make you laugh, and warm your heart with a cute teenage romance, pick this up!   


picture and synopsis courtesy of Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment