Monday, December 3, 2012

Audiobook Review: Cold Days by Jim Butcher





Author: Jim Butcher
Release Date: November 27th, 2012
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Narrator: James Marsters
5 Stars - AMAZING!!!!!!

Synopsis:
HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won’t be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…

His soul.


Review:
First of all I would like to say how glad I was to have James Marsters back!! How I have missed you so! In my mind he, IS Harry.  He is toot-toot, and he is Mab.  He embodies the characters to the last savory drop, and brings the energy to the narration from fear to humor in the most amazing ways. 

After Ghost Story, I felt lost.  It was similar to that depressing sinking feeling that The Half Blood Prince left hanging in the air.  A poor me symphony of sad thoughts and actions.  But here in Cold Days Harry is back and once again a bad ass, and yet funny as hell wizard that I have came to love so much. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

“Her flawless pale skin was also spangled with gemstones. I don't know how they'd been attached, but they clung to her and sent little flashes of color glittering around the cavern when she moved. They were concentrated most densely around her ... well ... She'd been, ah, vajazzled.” 

I'm sorry...I almost died of laughter for this first on after having a conversation with a friend and found out that this is normal for some people!

“I’d had a key to the marina’s locks at one time, but I’d lost track of it when I got shot, drowned, died, got revived into a coma, haunted my friends for a while, and then woke up in Mab’s bed. (My life. Hell’s bells.)”  

Of coarse he throws around more "hells bells" and "stars and stones.  Typical Harry behavior.  But as in all of his stories there is a hidden darkness rearing its ugly head and playing complete havoc with his life.  Once again he up against a world ending situation where his friends lives hang in the balance.  Harry now struggles to keep his humanity and himself and not let Winter take him over. The novel is filled with highs and lows, scare the sh** out of you parts and laugh your *ss off parts.  And as usual the end left me crying and gasping for breath.  Butcher has once again left me jaw hanging mad with wanting to know what happens next. If you haven't read this series yet, DO IT! Start with number one, and when you Changes, you will agree with me that this series is truly one of the best of all times.

Synopsis and Photo Courtesy of Goodreads    

Related: Series Review of The Dresden Files Catch up

No comments:

Post a Comment