Friday, May 3, 2013

ARC Book Review: School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release Date: May 14th, 2013
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
4 Stars - I liked it

Synopsis:
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 


Review:
This is my first time reading anything by this author.  I have heard good things about her Hex Hall series, but alas the mountian TBR pile still awaits.  I might have to move Hex Hall up in my TBR series because I really did enjoy School Spirits.  
Being a mother of a teenager, I love the bond between Isolde and her mother.  So many YA novels leave out any parental figure.  Not that their relationship is a perfect, but at least she seems to have a role in her life!  The premise kind of reminded me of Grimm, just in a YA novel with female protagonist.  The supporting cast of characters compliment Isolde with the normal BFF, to the hot BF prospect.  Hawkins delivers funny, smart, snarky one liners at appropriate times.  She even takes the female leads seemingly solemnly name of Isolde and gives her a cute nickname of Izzy. The overall plot of this book, fighting this horrible ghost, pales in comparison to the plot that is just starting in the search of her Isolde's missing sister.  This was a quick, fun, light read I definitely recommend, and I will pick up the next book!  Thanks NetGalley for the opportunity to review this early!

****** I am saddened to hear from Andye from ReadingTeen that Hawkins tweeted to her that there will not be anymore Izzy and Dex for now.  I hope that at some point she can continue this series, I think it is a perfect cute quick read, and would like to read more.****** Here is a link to Andye's review ReadingTeen.net

Synopsis and photo courtesy of Goodreads 


  







No comments:

Post a Comment